My spouse served me with divorce papers? What do I need to know?

  • Speak to an attorney.
  • Depending on the manner on which you are served, there may already be a clock running as to when you can respond to that Complaint for Divorce.
  • If somebody came to your door and specifically gave you the Complaint for Divorce, you have 35 days from that date to answer the Complaint.
  • If you've signed something acknowledging receipt of the Complaint, you have 35 days from the day you acknowledge receipt in order to answer that Complaint.
  • If you haven't done one of those two things, then the clock might not be running.