Enforcing and Modifying Family Court Orders | Cohn Lifland Pearlman Herrmann & Knopf LLP
Cohn Lifland Pearlman Herrmann & Knopf LLP
Call Today:

Enforcing and Modifying Family Court Orders

Fotolia_66207422_XS.jpgIf you have a court order that the other party is violating or there is a change in circumstances and you would like to revise the order, you have a lot to consider. You can file a motion for enforcement or modification. A family attorney can assist you with these by drafting, filing and arguing them. There are a number of areas where enforcements and modifications commonly occur. Motions are often filed to:

  • Increase or decrease child support
  • Increase or decrease alimony or spousal support
  • Revise child custodial arrangements
  • Revise the parenting time schedule
  • Enforce rights pertaining to custody, parenting time, child support, and alimony or spousal support
  • Terminate a child support obligation upon emancipation
  • Reimburse medical expenses
  • Reconsider a family court order
  • Relocate with children

When a motion is filed, there are notice requirements to the other party. There are various deadlines to meet. Notice must include the time and date of the scheduled motion hearing and information about the subject of the motion. This allows the other party to decide how to respond. The motion must be served at least 24 calendar days before the motion is scheduled to be heard by the court. This allows the other party to oppose the Motion with a Cross Motion to which the movant is permitted to file a Reply.

Orders are generally considered to be final and courts will not arbitrarily change them. However if important facts or circumstances have changed from the time the order was issued, then a party can request the court to change the order. If you require assistance with enforcement of modification of a court order, consult with an experienced family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

No Firm In Northern New Jersey Has More Experience Than We Do. Call 201-845-9600 Today To Put Our Knowledge On Your Side.

Email Us For a Response

Contact Northern New Jersey's Premiere Law Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Cohn Lifland Pearlman Herrmann & Knopf LLP
Park 80 West-Plaza One
250 Pehle Avenue
Suite 401
Saddle Brook, NJ 07663

Phone: 201-684-9695
Phone: 201-845-9600
Fax: 201-845-9423
Saddle Brook Law Office Map

Review Us