How can I make sure my contractor is doing what he or she should be doing once the project starts?
- Even if you’re not sure what you’re looking at, show up on a daily basis and ask the general contractor what’s happening on the job.
- It might not even be a bad idea to pay to have the architect or engineer who drew the plans handle the site administration and keep an eye on things.
- In your contract with your contractor, you should have a provision that forces that contractor to come to you on a periodic basis to seek payment.
- When they seek a payment, they should have to take you to the site, show you the work that’s done and show you both the progress and the quality of the work.
- Make sure all the permits are being filed properly and make sure all the inspections are being done.