Maurice, Joseph A.
Joseph A. Maurice, President of the Bergen County Bar Association, is a certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey's Board on Trial Attorney Certification. He practices primarily in the areas of commercial and criminal litigation. Mr. Maurice litigates in both state and federal courts. He also has experience in matrimonial litigation and real estate transactions. Mr. Maurice is a former court-appointed mediator for the New Jersey Superior Court. He served as the Borough of Paramus Municipal Prosecutor for the Criminal Part and formerly of the Traffic Part.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Maurice clerked for the Honorable Bruce A. Gaeta, J.S.C. in the Criminal Part of the Bergen County Vicinage.
Mr. Maurice is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which resulted from his trial of a securities fraud class action trial, Williams et al. vs. Chatmon et al. He was included in (201) Magazine's list of Bergen's Top Lawyers" in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, in Civil Litigation and Criminal Defense (Non-White Collar). He has also been included in the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers from 2013-2019, and was previously a New Jersey Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2006, 2007 and 2009.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Litigation
- Personal Injury
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified, Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey’s Board on Trial Attorney Certification
- New Jersey
- New York, 1995
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- Muhlenberg College
- How to Prepare for an Attorney Consultation, Paramus Magazine, August, 2009
- Mind Your Business: Employee Use on Company Computers, Paramus Chamber of Commerce website Business Center, Fall, 2007
- Williams et al. vs. Chatmon et al.
- QBE Insurance Company v P&F Container Services, Inc., 362 N.J. Super. 445 (App. Div. 2003)
- Lecturer, Bergen County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- (201) Magazine’s list of Bergen’s Top Lawyers, Litigation and Criminal Defense
- New Jersey Super Lawyers
- New Jersey Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2006-2007
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bergen County Bar Association, President
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Bergen County Bar Association, Former Trustee
- Bergen County Bar Association, Criminal Litigation Committee
- Bergen County Bar Association, Civil Litigation Committee
- Bergen County Bar Foundation, Trustee and Scholarship Chair
- New Jersey Superior Court, Former Court-Appointed Mediator
- District IIA Supreme Court, Ethics Committee, Former Chair
Pro Bono Activities
- Columbians, Trustee