Mercedes Diego's practice focuses primarily on real estate and prosecuting foreclosure matters on behalf of lenders. The real estate and transactions part of her practice include the sale, purchase and financing of residential and commercial real estate.
Prior to joining Cohn Lifland, Ms. Diego represented defendants in foreclosure matters. She was also involved in a predatory lending case against mortgage brokers and others involving claims under the Truth in Lending Act; New Jersey's Consumer Fraud, et. al.
Ms. Diego was law clerk to the Hon. Jose L. Fuentes, Superior Court of New Jersey, 1998-1999.
Ms. Diego was included on (201) Magazine's list of Bergen's "Top Lawyers" in Real Estate in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. She is fluent in Spanish.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Business Transactions
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- New Jersey, 1999
- New York, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- St. John's University School of Law, Jamaica, New York
- J.D. - 1998
- St. John's University, Jamaica, New York
- B.A., English - 1995
- Honors: cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Included on (201) Magazine’s list of Bergen’s “Top Lawyers” in Real Estate, 2016, 2017 and 2019