It’s that spooky time of year. It’s time for creepy Halloween decor and carving pumpkins. And it’s almost time to escort your child door-to-door to collect candy from the neighbors just so you can sneak a few pieces after bedtime. Around here, we think that life lessons can be found almost anywhere – even at the bottom of your child’s candy bucket. So while you’re tiptoeing to the pantry to grab a Reese’s Cup at 11:45 p.m. on October 31st and considering why you didn’t agree to marry that childhood crush who proposed to you with a Life Saver, here’s what five of your favorite candy slogans can teach you about separation and divorce:
- Kit Kat - “Gimme a break.” We all need a break every now and then. Maybe for you and your spouse, you need some time to separate and reset before you consider a divorce. If so, consider consulting with an attorney to discuss how you are going to handle custody and parenting time while you are taking time apart.
- Twix - “Two for me, none for you.” In New Jersey, assets subject to distribution should be divided in the most equitable way. If your spouse insists that they should get to keep not just one, but both Honus Wagner baseball cards, make sure you know their value so you can ask for other assets of comparable value in return.
- Butterfinger - “Break out of the ordinary.” If you are looking to settle your divorce, do not feel like you need to stick with what is “typically” done. Think outside of the box and find an attorney who is willing to brainstorm alternative resolutions with you to fit your family.
- Starburst - “Isn’t life juicy?” Maybe your marriage did not turn out as planned. Life is full of twists that you can’t always anticipate. However, you should consider whether it is really in anyone’s interests — particularly the best interests of your child — to bring all that “juicy” drama to the table when negotiating terms of a divorce settlement. If you are divorcing based upon irreconcilable differences, it is usually wise to set it aside.
- Snickers - “You’re not you when you’re hungry.” You’re probably also not you when you are going through a divorce either. (Hidden Candy Slogan Bonus: Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.) We understand. There will be some highs and lows when you are divorcing and we are here to help. Just like Mars encourages you to grab a Snickers when you’re hungry, we encourage you to surround yourself with an empowerment team, including an experienced family law attorney, when you’re going through a divorce.
If you’re considering trading in your wedding band for a Ring Pop, “Take 5” to call one of the experienced family law attorneys at Cohn Lifland to see how we can help you