Over 90 Years Serving Our Clients

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Blog
  4.  »  How are my medical bills paid in a car accident?

How are my medical bills paid in a car accident?

On behalf of Cohn Lifland Pearlman Herrmann & Knopf LLP | Jul 24, 2017 |


When you are injured as a driver or a passenger in an automobile accident, medical bills and lost wages may be at the forefront of your mind. You may wonder how you can get the care you need without incurring a serious financial burden.

There are two types of damages that you can recover when you have been injured in an automobile accident that occurred due to the negligence of another party. First, you can receive economic damages. Economic damages will include some or most of the expenses for your injuries, including medical bills, rehabilitation and physical therapy costs, and income you have lost due to an inability to work. The other type of damages that you can receive is non-economic damages, which go towards your loss of enjoyment of life and pain and suffering.

New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state, meaning that your insurance company is liable for your medical expenses under New Jersey’s personal injury protection coverage. First, your own medical insurance will cover your medical expenses, but since those can become very costly, personal injury protection (PIP) will provide you with a second layer of coverage. It is also important to note that even if you are partially responsible for causing the accident, you may still be able to recover some damages because of New Jersey’s no-fault insurance. In addition, it is always a good idea to have Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage just in case the driver who hit you either wasn’t insured or did not have enough insurance coverage.

If you are in a car accident, it is very important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney that can guide you through your legal matter and help you recover the maximum reward for your injuries. For quality legal support, contact Cohn Lifland.